I’ve eyeballd the L’Oreal La Laque and Le Matte lipstick display at my local Walgreens for weeks. Similar in concept to the Revlon Colorburst Matte and Laquer Balms, L’Oreal’s La Laque and Le Matte lipsticks offer ultra matte and ultra shiny options in limited, but beautiful color options.
I finally caught them on mega-sale and picked up 6. 3 La Laques and 3 Le Mattes.
Overall, the La Laques look gorgeous – extremely shiny and saturated, but I didn’t really care for the feel or the fussiness of the application. While they look wet, they don’t actually feel hydrating on the lips at all. They just sit on top feeling awkward and sticky. The formula is so thick you can’t really play with a light hand, which only leaves you with very bold options. I had to work really hard to get an even application and the reds do not stay put. I should also add that these are not kiss-proof in the slightest. I tested… you know, for science. We both got Joker-mouth after one, little smooch.
The Le Mattes are a the stars of this collection to me. The colors are saturated and beautiful and if applied well (paint, pat in with finger, paint again), they leave a nice, longterm stain on the lips that wears quite well throughout the day. Matte lipsticks in general don’t feel that comfortable, but these feel nicer than most. It helps to moisturize your lips with balm at the beginning of your makeup application, so they’re nice and soft before applying lipstick, matte or no.
Now let’s talk color. Warning – the names are so, so, so bad and nevermind the leftover eyeshadow smudges on my swatching arm.
1. Never-Laque-ing – Moonlighting Mauve. I don’t normally fancy these colors on me, but this one is quite nice. It’s definitely the most comfortable of the La Laques.
2. Laque-onic – Gorgeous, deep red with blue-ish undertones. This one is lovely until wind blows your hair in your face and it drags candy-apple red streaks all over your face. I mean, that didn’t happen to me, but according to my friend it’s a real problem.
3. I Laque You a Lot – Verrrrry bright, orange-y red.
4. Matte for Me – Raspberry-pink. This is my absolute favorite of the bunch. It’s a universally flattering color and the formulation on this one is the easiest to work with. I’ve worn it non-stop.
5. She’s So Matte – Super flattering coral-pink. Again – I think this one would look stunning on any skin tone. My second favorite.
6. Matte-r of Fact – Deep cranberry/wine. This one can be toned down, but I think looks pretty cool in full force. Mind you, I’m a Gen-Xer, so a gothic lip is in my DNA. I’m certain I will be using this one when I go all Dark Willow and try to destroy the world.
What do you think? Will you hunt any of these babies down? Are you more La Laque or Le Matte?